Finish the School Year Strong-
Be a Spring Detective!
With the welcoming of spring, the days are warmer and the kid’s are itching to get outside. Sometimes it’s hard to keep them motivated as the end of the school year comes to a close. A great way to end the school year strong is to study the seasons and be spring detectives with a weekly photo scavenger hunts. It’s a perfect time for a field trip around your neighborhood or local state park and it rejuvenating to soak up the fresh air and sunshine for the whole family.
Host a weekly Nature Photo Scavenger Hunt
Kids love taking photos so give them a reason to do it! Host a weekly Nature Photo Scavenger Hunt with other families. Print out the photos and instruct the kids to notebook about what they are learning by just observing and being in nature. If you have a budding artist, they may also enjoy sketching their finds in a notebook.
· Look for-Budding trees-which ones bloom first and last in your area? http://www.nwf.org/kids/family-fun/outdoor-activities/hunt-for-signs-that-spring-is-coming.aspx
· Look for Blooming flowers-daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, crocus,
· Watch for new animal life-fat robins, ducklings, bunnies, worms after a rain
· Listen for frogs coming out of hibernation at nearby ponds
· Visit wildlife conservatories and nature centers
· Take a trip to the local zoo-what new babies have been born? Photograph them!
· Photograph puddles, raindrops, rainbows, wet bushes, muddy gardens-anything that the rain affects.
Take advantage of this new excitement by adding spring hands on activities to your day.
· Make and fly a kite! Wonderful fun on a windy spring day! http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Kite
· Discover why it’s windy in the spring. http://www.weatherwizkids.com/weather-wind.htm
· Make a wind sock or wind chimes http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Windsock-for-Children
· Make a rain gauge and chart the weather! https://www.pinterest.com/janmay2012/science-activites/
· Make a birdhouse to welcome birds back to your yard. http://www.artistshelpingchildren.org/birdfeedershousesperchescraftsmakingartscraftsideaskids.html
· Talk about how animals find shelter during storms. This is a wonderful opportunity to share how God protects us too!
· Make a Spring Book http://www.creativefamilyfun.net/2014/03/my-book-of-four-seasons-paper-bag-book.html#_xsQi8z
· Make a storm emergency kit and give each child a job during storms such as finding flashlights, etc. This helps children feel like they are not helpless and can do something to feel safe.
· Read fascinating stories on how animals can be predictors of weather- http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/can-sharks-help-us-predict-the-weather/
SUPER HOMESCHOOL BUNDLE SALE Starts Today May 16-23
And they have cool bundles for everyone! I like this one with special girl and boy books.
LOOK for Our Mid Grade Novels for Girls-Fun Christian Mysteries!
For Horse and Animal Lovers Ages 8-11yrs